Organized by DASK for the first time in Turkey, traditional 5th Earthquake Resistant Building Design Competition excitedly waited by faculties of civil engineering and architecture, started the pre-registration period!
This competition, which is one of the most exciting ways of increasing earthquake awareness and earthquake resistant building design skills of all university students, particularly the civil engineer candidates, aims:
- To provide civil engineering students the opportunity to work in earthquake resistant high building design and model making stages
- To introduce the earthquake engineering profession and to encourage students to specialize in this field
- To increase the awareness of earthquake and earthquake resistant building
Who can participate?
The teams consisting of maximum five undergraduate students can apply to DASK Earthquake Resistant Building Design Competition.
The majority of the team members should be civil engineering students. Up to two students from the architecture departments of the same university may be involved. If there is no architecture department at the university, an architecture student from another university can be included in the team. A civil engineering faculty member leads the teams.
- In the first stage, the building projects designed according to the Project Preliminary Specification will be assessed and subjected to a pre-screening.
- In the second stage, the building projects succeeded in the pre-screening process will be converted into building models according to the Technical Specification with the materials sent by DASK (balsa lath and panels).
- And in the last stage, the conformity of the building models to the specification and their performances on the shaking table simulating an earthquake will be assessed at the grand final of the competition which will be organized in İstanbul Ottoman Archive between 7-8 April 2019.
- Deadline for project applications: 21 December 2018
- The announcement of selected teams, delivery of model supplies and the announcement of Technical Specification: 7 January 2019
- The delivery of performance estimations and each floor areas in Excel file format: 1 April 2019
- Deadline for building models’ delivery through cargo to Ottoman Archives: 6 April 2019
- Grand Final: 7-8 April 2019
- The Award Ceremony: 9 April 2019
The scope of the competition
The scale building models that will be designed according to the determined rules and manufactured from balsa laths and panels will be subjected to a series of shaking table tests and the earthquake performances will be determined experimentally.
The most important factor in the success of the model building will be, “not to fall down in the earthquake”.
Economical and aesthetic factors will also affect the performance of the teams as a separate criterion. In the technical scoring, the level of the earthquake performance of the structure (the level of shake felt and lowness of structural damage); in economical scoring, the weight of the model building (material quantity) and total floor area; In terms of aesthetic scoring, criteria such as architecture and marketing potential (poster and presentation) will be taken into consideration.
The winner of the competition will be the team with the highest total annual earnings determined by a benefit- cost calculation.
Ratings and awards
Among the teams designed a building which was judged not to be destroyed in any of the three strong shaking, the team that has the highest Total Annual Earnings will be the winner of the competition.
A cash prize of 50.000 TL will be allocated to the winner university in order to supply laboratory equipment. Students of university teams entering the top three will be given the following prizes:
1st team: 15.000 TL
2nd team: 10,000 TL
3rd team: 5.000 TL
4 special awards will be given in the competition:
Best Architectural Special Award: Selected by the jury.
Best Earthquake Performance Special Award: Determined according to the results of the measurements.
Best Communication Skills and Best Presentation Award: Selected by the jury.
Competition Spirit Award: Selected by the votes of the competition participants.
About the Competition
DASK Earthquake Resistant Building Design Competition is the Turkey version of the Seismic Design Competition organized by the Student Leadership Council (SCL) of the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI) in the USA since 2003. Creating a tremendous influence in Turkey and the world with its concept and mechanism, DASK Earthquake Resistant Building Design Competition has received prestigious awards both in the national and international arena.